Table of Contents
Characterisation is HARD
B2W has worked with writers for twenty years now. One thing that gets writers tying themselves up in knots – newbie to pro, plus everyone in-between – is characterisation. Yet in the 2020s, characterisation is everything!
Crafting believable and well-rounded characters requires a deep understanding of human psychology, emotions, and behaviour. We must carefully balance elements such as backstory, character motivation, conflict, and arcs, to create characters that resonate with audiences and readers. What’s more, characters must be relatable and engaging while ALSO serving the narrative purpose and contributing to the overall story structure.
Yikes! No wonder it’s so difficult … But don’t worry – B2W’s got you covered!
Grab Your FREE 90-Minute Masterclass on Characterisation
In this masterclass, B2W details all the things I wish I had known about characterisation back when I started.
These things include (but are not limited to) …
- The 2 non-negotiables your characters MUST have
- Why so-called ‘likeability’ is total BS (especially when it comes to female leads!)
- What the difference is between archetype and stereotype
- Why people will have differing opinions on your character (and that’s okay!)
- How we can use storytelling tropes WITHOUT resorting to cliché
- Why character and plot are inextricably linked
Your B2W Resources To Help You With Your Characters
In addition to the free B2W masterclass, there’s resources to help you with your characters too. These include …
- A characterisation worksheet to help you dig deep and ensure your characters have nuance & layers
- Useful visual representations about character and plot and how they work together
- A PDF of the class slides (no need to fiddle around taking screenshots!)
- Plus a stack of further linkage about characterisation to help you, too.
But make sure you can give it your full attention — this stuff is GOLD! Hit the subscribe button below.
Where shall I send it?
Please fill in your email below so I know where to send your free characterisation masterclass. You can unsubscribe at any time.
More B2W Masterclasses and courses
Don’t forget: if you’re interested in more B2W masterclasses and courses, check out B2W on Teachable.
B2W’s Teachable courses are on-demand, meaning you can take them whenever you like. They cover such varied topics as submissions, short stories, online marketing, screenwriting fundamentals and advanced practices, productivity and more.
You can also sign up for another FREE mini-course, ‘The Foundations of Writing Craft’.