We all have our different approaches to spec writing: some believe “slow and steady wins the race” and write and rewrite over a large period of time; others “binge” on writing and editing, writing non-stop for a short period of time and then cogitating in-between bursts of activity. I wrote the following for a laugh on my Twitter account yesterday and by popular demand, am reproducing it here. Enjoy!
1) Tell everyone you’re writing a new spec.
2) Don’t do anything.
3) Write a pitch doc
4) Send it to friends, some producers, etc
5) Don’t do anything
6) Wait ’til someone asks to see the script; say “No problem”
8) Tell said person you’re currently on holiday, you’ll send it when you get back in two weeks
9) Write new spec by pulling twenty hour days
10) Pull in script reading favours
11) Collate feedback, write and rewrite in second week
12) Send the following Monday
See anything you recognise there?! ; ) Follow me on Twitter